Wednesday, January 9, 2013

No Permission Needed

Last night I was looking on You Tube for some new songs to put onto my IPOD to listen to while I do my cardio workouts at the Gym and I came across this:


It's Madonna's "Justify My Love" music video. The song's haunting melody, tribal beat and visceral lyrics jumped out and just grabbed me!  The video is incredibly sexy as well!  The people in it are so beautifully non-binary!

I love all of the lyrics, but the sections that I love the best are in the beginning and then at the end of the song:

So romantic in the beginning with . . .

I wanna kiss you in Paris
I wanna hold your hand in Rome
I wanna run naked in a rainstorm
Make love in a train cross-country
You put this in me
So now what, so now what?
 
. . . and then so compelling in the end:

Poor is the man
Whose pleasures depend
On the permission of another
Love me, that's right, love me
I wanna be your baby

Yes, poor is anyone whose pleasures depend on the permission of another!!!!!  This makes me think about all of the times that I've held back during my life from getting what I really needed because somebody else didn't want me to have it and/or society didn't approve.  Why do we have to limit ourselves so much to societal norms and pressures?  Do we really care that much about what people think of us?  The older I get, the more I want to break out of this mold that I've been trapped in all of my life.  It just doesn't fit me . . . it never has and it never will!!! 

Life's responsibilities tend to keep us trapped in our molds and breaking free is very hard to do!  It makes us go through life like zombies, moving automatically about our daily routines without feeling. But just like a caterpillar in a cocoon, I know that one day soon that I'll be ready to go from sitting in the dark and waiting into bursting into the light as a butterfly!  And there's another butterfly out there waiting for me to join them!




No comments:

Post a Comment