Sunday, January 13, 2013

Icy Hot Mama

About two weeks ago, which was 3 weeks after my Hysterectomy, I started having icy hot flashes. When I have these flashes, my whole body feels like I've rubbed Icy Hot Sports Cream all over it, especially in the upper half!  Then about a week ago I started waking up in the middle of the night bathed with sweat.  I've been sweating so much that the sheets underneath me have been wet!   Since I no longer have ovaries, my body isn't producing estrogen.  This is causing the hot flashes and night sweats.  I'm happy to say that I've not been suffering from any kind of depression or hormonal lunacy though.

My concerns about feeling like a lunatic are due to what I witnessed my mother go through after going through a surgical menopause.  She had to have an emergency hysterectomy after giving birth to my sister back in 1966.  The after effects were not pretty!  I remember one particular episode where she was on her hands and knees on the carpet just screaming uncontrollably!  Of course my mother didn't drive and was stuck in the house with 3 kids and an infant at the time, but this is certainly not a good memory or example of post hysterectomy effects!!!  God bless my poor mother!

Most women can start Hormonal Replacement Therapy (HRT) right away after a Hysterectomy.  However, since I had severe Endometriosis, I cannot do this until six months after my surgery.  I'm concerned about this due to the risk of bone loss and heart attacks that can occur when there is no more estrogen in a woman's body.  The most that I can do right now is take Black Cohosh to help reduce the hot flashes.  I am also resuming my normal exercise routine at the Gym this week, which should definitely help as well.

I'm happy to say that I got through surgery, the holidays and being on a cruise and I didn't gain any weight!  It's good to enter into the 2013 in decent shape and I intend on improving my fitness level even more!

Here is a photo of me in my orange dress two weeks ago:

Me on the Last Night of the Cruise on December 29, 2012
Onward in good health into 2013!




No comments:

Post a Comment