Monday, February 27, 2012

A Great Week at Work

I'm happy to say that last week ended up being a rather good one for me at work.  It was National Engineers Week and two colleagues and myself were asked to represent our company at a local high school. We provided a presentation during each of the 3 lunch periods to young men and women in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Academy there.  During each presentation, we got up and talked about our education and professional engineering background, gave a brief description of our job, showed a brief movie, and then took questions from the audience.

Here I am giving a presentation to the students:

Mae Giving an Engineering Presentation to High School Students

Here is another picture of me presenting in the front of the lecture hall:

Mae Presenting at the Front of the Lecture Hall

The students were very attentive and asked good questions.  It was good to see that many students, especially young ladies interested in engineering! 

At the end of the last presentation one of the students asked if he could have his picture taken with us, which I thought was very sweet.  Here is a picture of all of us and the student:


The Grande Finale

All in all it was a very rewarding experience being able to interact with these students!  Hopefully our presentations will help more of them to decide to go into engineering careers, preferably with our company.

On Friday a group of us was asked to attend a meeting regarding a formal design review that we had just finished earlier on this month.  It ended up being an awards presentation for those who worked on the design review.  I coordinated the design review and it was a huge amount of work and often a three ring circus.  I ended up getting two awards and upper level management really made a big fuss over the work that I did.  It really made me feel really good!

Hopefully when impending lean times arrive, upper level management will remember all of my work!  All any of us can do is work hard and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment