Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The times, they are a-changin'

Bob Dylan really hit the nail on the head with his song "the times, they are a-changin'! Things in the world, the US and my life in general are a-changin' and nobody can stop it because time marches on, with or without us. Most people don't like change, but instead of kicking and screaming to resist it, we need to embrace it and adapt as much as required to survive.

The economy has been affecting many jobs in the workplace and this will likely increase over the next year or so. Although I don't think that I will be affected, I still need to be proactive by updating my resume and networking with colleagues.  I really don't want to have to move again for a good while, but will do so if necessary to put food on the family table.

Some of my relationships are changing as well.  My daughter used to call me several times a week and we would talk on Facebook often.  Now I'm lucky if I hear from her every few weeks.  She just got married last Summer, is settling into married life and doesn't really need Mom so much anymore.  It was Valentine's Day yesterday and for the first time in 10 years, I didn't get any flowers from my significant other. In years past I always got roses, no matter what. I did get a beautiful dinner and a card as always, so I'm not complaining, but the lack of flowers is somewhat telling.  Maybe it is due to the "Facebook Horror Show" that I referred to in a previous blog, but I really hope that this is not the case!

Here was what the dinner table looked like at our house last night for Valentine's Day:


The Valentine's Day Table

Dinner was lobster stuffed with crab meat along with garlic seasoned turn vegetables.  It looked beautiful and tasted delicious!  Here is a picture of our V-Day dinner:


Valentine's Day Dinner

Lastly, I'm changing as well.  I'm getting over a hang-up that I had for around the past 18 months, which is good.  I've been reaching out, trying to banish the intellectual and emotional loneliness that has had me in its grip for the past year. I have also increased my devotion to physical fitness and it is starting to pay off, which is so good for the way that I feel about myself!  I want to make new friends, but keep the old, which reminds me of a song we used to sing when I was young and in the Girl Scouts.  The song goes like this:

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver
and the other's gold

Here's to keeping as much of the good that you can and also bringing in the new!

That's all for tonight, so until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment