Sunday, November 13, 2011

My First Blog Adventure - Heres To You, Snark!

Hello Fellow Bloggers!  It's just another Sunday afternoon here in this Wild West Outpost in Wylie, Texas.


But this day is a special one for me as I am about to embark upon my first blog adventure!

Some of my initial experiences with writing journals were not greatest.  I started my first journal when I was in the 5th Grade, into which I poured my most private thoughts and secrets. Unfortunately, my older brother found it and read it, which was a deeply humiliating experience!  My next try was when I was in the 8th Grade, which didn't go much better than the first one.  This time my good 'ole telephone operator mother busted the lock on it and read it, then proceeded to call friends and family on the phone to discuss its contents. Sheesh, this was one of those incidents that really made me want to run away and join the circus, the Peace Corps or anything far, far away from the shame!

So fast forward here to the present, where I am a good bit older and have finally reached the point where I don't really give a shit about what people think about me anymore.  I love to write and have wanted to create a blog for a while now, but have never gotten around to doing it.  I guess I just needed something to kick me in the ass to get things going.  Well, this kick in ass finally happened on Friday, Veterans Day - 11-11-11.

You see, I come from a long line of ancestors who served in the military.  I continued this family tradition by serving in the U.S. Air Force for 10 years of active duty, then another 14 years of reserve duty.  Needless to say, I am very patriotic and quite passionate about Veterans Day!  On this past Veterans Day 11-11-11, things progressed nicely until late afternoon, when I read a Blog right here on blogspot.com. I subscribe to this particular blog and it is a really good one.  I especially like the author and admire her courage and fortitude.  So I pulled up the blog and it commemorated the day as "Ones Day (11-11-11)", but made no mention of the fact that it was Veterans Day.  I was curious as to why this was the case, especially since the author has a family member who is a veteran and I would venture to say that a good part of her readers are probably veterans as well.

After reading the blog, I posted a polite comment asking the author if she forgot that it was Veterans Day or just chose not to mention it for some reason.  I went back to the blog later in the evening after dinner and found this comment from a person called "Snark":

"Mae: I'm sure [author name] thought that you'd covered everything that needed to be said about Veterans Day on YOUR blog."

Damn it anyhow, this comment really pissed me off, but the worst of it was that "Snark" posted it anonymously!  What a no-name, no-face and chickenshit way of dissing Veterans Day!  I immediately posted something back that I ended up having to delete because it was pretty crass. But that's okay, I ended up posting a clean comment in the end. I still haven't received an answer from the author, which is somewhat disappointing.

So heres to you Snark, whoever you are . . . although I know it was not your intention, your smart-assed comment actually did some good by spurring me on to create my own blog.  Thank you, Snark!  In the future, if you want to address a comment to this Wylie cowgirl, be a mensch and show your face!

The next post here will be my Veterans Day 11-11-11 Commemoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment