Friday, November 25, 2011

Long Layover in Houston

We flew out of Phoenix this morning to return to Dallas, but never made it home.  All was fine on the departure monitors when we arrived in Houston, so we took the train to Concourse B.  Unfortunately, by the time we got there, the flight had been cancelled and there were no other flights going out to Dallas for the rest of the day.  This was very frustrating because we just wanted to go home, but apparently the plane had mechanical problems.  Since this was the case, Continental ended up putting us up in the Marriott. We figured that there had to be some reason for this to happen, so we decided just to make the best of the situation.

 The Marriott is actually right in the IAH airport. You can get to it by going down to the bottom floor of the airport and taking a tram.  It was pretty convenient as the hotel is only one tram stop over from Concourse B.  Continental couldn't find our checked bags right away, so we went over and checked into the hotel and waited for them to call us, then we took the tram back over to Concourse B and collected our bags.

After dropping the bags off at our room, we took the elevator up to CK's Revolving Restaurant and had dinner.  This was pretty cool as the restaurant actually spins around 360 degrees during the course of 1 hour and 20 minutes, so you get a full view of the airport while you are eating.  It is sort of like being on a merry-go-round, only it is much slower.  Hernan and I ended up getting prime rib, scalloped potatoes, and mixed vegetables. Here is what the prime rib looked like:



The dinner was qute expensive, but it actually tasted pretty good! The prime rib was very tender. Adeline got a kid's pizza and french fries, which she hardly even touched.  Now we are just laying around in the room and will probably go to bed soon.

I will be very glad to get home and get back into my regular exercise routine!  Exercise is so crucial to both my physical and mental well being, and even more so during the holidays.  I frequently end up feeling sad during this time, usually about family or friends for some reason or another.

This Thanksgiving went well, except for the fact that my Mother-in-law passed away.  She was very ill, so her death was bittersweet.  It was disappointing that I didn't end up talking with my brother or sister this Thanksgiving.  My brother, sister and I are the only 3 people in my immediate family who are still alive.  I really would like to be in touch with them more often as life is so short.  I left messages, but haven't heard back from either of them, which is sad!  Neither of Adeline's parents gave a damn enough to call her on Thanksgiving, which is even sadder!

However, the only behavior that I can control is my own, so I am going to make sure that I get enough exercise, eat right and keep a positive attitude this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment