Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Don't Go Away!

I met a good friend (I'll call her "Angie" to protect her privacy) on Facebook a while back as a direct result of a nasty encounter that I had on one of another Facebook friend's threads. This other friend's posts are often very controversial and usually result in some big-time cat fighting in threads that go on for days! I usually find these threads more entertaining than anything on television. However, there are times when they have truly gotten out of hand. A good number of folks have actually run away from these threads cut and bleeding, never to be heard from again! I regret to say that my friend Angie may have joined the ranks of the cut and bleeding in exile.

It all started out one day shortly after I commented on a thread about Rush Limbaugh. I got attacked by a particularly nasty person for using the term "GG" to refer to women who need to use contraceptives in order to prevent pregnancy. The term "GG" means "Genetic Girl" and I quickly found out that day that there are some trans-women who do not like the term because it "differentiates" them from cisgendered women. However, I have seen many trans-women using this very same term all of the time on Facebook and elsewhere and never saw it as being derogatory.

I am very much an ally of the Transgender Community and it really bothered me that somebody was making me out to be a hater. Needless to say, this person was particularly horrible and tried to bring others into the fray behind my back because she couldn't handle fighting with me one-on-one. To make a long story short, the next day, I saw "Angie" mention the term on a post and I asked her about it. This question led to what has been a very nice Facebook friendship!

Since that day, Angie and I have talked virtually every day about all kinds of subjects. We were even going to meet to have some lunch one day since we both live somewhat close to each other in Texas. Unfortunately, something happened on one of those "threads" that I talked about above and it resulted in some "unfriending" and some subsequent nasty comments that were "liked" by people that "Angie" thought were her friends.

The last time that we talked, which was a few days ago, "Angie" said that she needed some time away from Facebook and then she deactivated her account.  She gave me her telephone number a while back and I sent her a text to tell her that I miss talking with her, but she hasn't responded. I feel very bad about not being able to talk with her anymore! We have had just a really easy friendship where we can talk about everything and it has been so nice!  I don't want to lose this friendship! 

I'm going to dedicate a special song to my friend and I hope that she'll come back soon because I miss her!

Here's to the nice, easy friendship that I've enjoyed with you, "Angie"!




Don't go away!  Say what you say!  Say that you'll stay, as my friend!

05/23/12  Update

I tried to call the number that "Angie" gave me a while back, but got a recording that the number "was not in working order".  I guess she really is doing a disappearing act.  I hope that she is okay!

08/30/12 Update

"Angie" did come back after a few days and we've continued our friendship.  She an I have met several times in person, along with Kim, another good FB friend.  I consider her and Kim to be dear friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment