Friday, November 22, 2013

I Remember When (50 Years Ago Today)

I have vivid memories of this day 50 years ago.  My father had just retired after serving 22 years in the Navy and we had just moved from Annapolis, MD to Tobyhanna, PA.  My mother didn't drive, so we were waiting in my grandmother Julia West's car at the A&P Supermarket for my mother while she picked up some groceries.

I clearly remember my mother running out to the car and exclaiming "Oh my God, President Kennedy has been shot!"  My ancestors from both sides were all Irish Catholic, so to say that my parents revered President John F. Kennedy is an understatement!

I was a very young child at the time, but I'll never forget my mother's reaction to the news of JFK's death!  It stands up there in time with the death of Princess Diana of Wales and the horrific events of 9-11-2001 as one of the most unforgettable days of my life!

Rest in Peace President Kennedy!


No comments:

Post a Comment