Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Trip to Virginia

I flew out to Virginia this past Monday to attend a 3 day class in Fairfax.  The trip out there wasn't the greatest as both the flight from Dallas to Houston and the subsequent one from Houston to Dulles got delayed due to airplane mechanical problems.  I'm  not very impressed with the way that United Airlines is heading business wise and it isn't likely that I'll be flying with them again.  I ended up getting to my hotel after 11:00 PM.

I stayed at the Hyatt House near Dulles Airport and it is really a nice place!  Here are a few pictures that I took in the hotel:

My very comfortable bed!

The Desk and Coffee MESS Area
The Chaise Lounge

A Pretty Sitting Area in The Breakfast Area

The next morning, I drove to class at the CC Pace Center in Fairfax.  The class was well run and we were treated very nicely.  They had drinks, snacks and lunch for us daily, which made everybody feel comfortable and welcome.  Right after class, I hit the road and headed for Eldersburg, MD to join my children, son-in-law, stepdaughter and her daughter at the Osaka Restaurant. The traffic was so bad on the Capitol Beltway (495) that it took me 2 hours to get there, but I finally made it!  I visited some with Nicole, Brandon, and Justin at their apartment and then we headed over to the restaurant to meet Anne and Cassie.

We all cut up and laughed and had a great time!  In my opinion, the Osaka has the best Japanese and Hibachi dinners that I've ever tasted!  Here are some pictures from dinner:

Anne, Cassie and Justin having Miso Soup and Sushi

Anne, Cassie, Justin, Me, Nicole and Brandon at Dinner

Nicole and I sitting at the Hibachi Table

Justin, Nicole and I back at Nicole & Brandon's Apartment

We went back to Nicole and Brandon's apartment for a while and visited some more, and then I did the hour drive back down to Virginia, which was much better on the way back because there was no traffic!  So, I got settled in and went to sleep and then it was up again to go to class the next morning.

The next morning I got up, showered and dressed and then went down to breakfast. The hotel has a very nice complimentary breakfast, with scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, danish pastry, cereal, toast, juice coffee, etc.  I enjoyed breakfast and then headed off to class.  After class, I went home to freshen up for a dinner date with a Facebook friend named Keri at the Cheesecake Factory in the Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax. We ended up eating at a table outside and the weather was just gorgeous!  It was a great meal with good conversation and company!  She's a very lovely lady and we had a wonderful time!  I hope that Keri and I can meet up again sometime.

It turns out that another Facebook friend named Donna was in the DC area that day, but she ended up leaving that day to go back down south.  It's a shame that we were in such close proximity but didn't get to meet.  I really would love to meet her one day!  

After dinner, I drove back to the hotel and got settled in to sleep and then got up the next morning for my last day of class. 

The last day of class was good and everybody traded business cards and said their goodbyes.  I went back to the hotel and relaxed and waited for Nicole and Brandon to come and visit.  Brandon goes to a university in Sterling, so he dropped Nicole off at the hotel and went to straighten out some school business.  Nicole and I had a nice long visit and then Brandon joined us.  We visited some more and then headed to the Macaroni Grill in the Dulles Town Center for some dinner.

Here are some pictures of us at dinner:

Nicole and I outside of the Macaroni Grill at Dulles Town Center
Brandon and Nicole across the table at dinner
Me, right before dinner

We had dinner and since wine was 1/2 price, two bottles of wine.  After dinner, we went back to the hotel and visited some more, then they headed home.  I went to bed as I had a very early flight the next morning.

The next morning I got up and had to leave the hotel at 4:00 AM to return my rental car and get to the airport on time for my 6:00 flight. Both the flight out to Houston and the subsequent one to Dallas were on time and I got home in the early afternoon.

I'm really glad I got to go to Virginia!  The trip provided me with some much needed peace and solitude as well as the opportunity to visit with some of my family.  It was also very nice to meet my FB friend for the first time!  I hope to get another opportunity like this one again soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment