Saturday, February 9, 2013

Light a Penny Candle

Yesterday began like every other Saturday.  I got up, went to the Gym and worked out, then came home and ate some breakfast.  After doing some things around the house, I took a nap and then got up and went to Mass.

Mass was packed to the gills!  It was a special one called a "Blue Mass", which was held in honor of all of the first responders in Wylie. There were a good number of policemen and policewomen as well as firemen and their families there, all sitting in reserved pews in the front middle of the church. I thought that it was very nice that there was a Mass held in their honor!

While sitting there before Mass started, I looked up at the front of the church and saw blue votive candles flickering in front of the statue of the Blessed Lady.  I remember lighting these candles as a kid, but it only cost a penny back then to light one. People used to light a penny candle in prayer, usually for a special intention or in memory of a loved one who had died.  The votive candles looked like the one in this picture:



Since I have a very special intention for prayer, I lit four votive candles.  It costs more than a penny nowadays to light one.  It's 25 cents for the small ones and $2.00 for the large ones now.  I hope that my prayers are answered! 

No comments:

Post a Comment