Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Rough Start

The year 2016 has started out a bit rough for me.  I'm very thankful for all of the blessings that I have in life, but I'm worried about keeping my current job.  I've been at the same company for 11 years now and can honestly say that it is the best place that I have ever worked!  However, sometimes there is a lack of new work orders which can result in layoff notices. 

Thankfully, I'm unaware of any layoff notices being issued at our site to date.  I was on a very demanding project for all of 2015 but that ended last December.  Myself and a few others were supposed to start on a new project at the beginning of this year, but we ended up not being able to work on it due to a lack of funding. This left us scrambling to find charge lines to fill out a 40 hour week.  Unfortunately, during the first few weeks after coming back from the holidays, some of us found it necessary to take personal time off  due to this lack of work. 

To make matters worse, several of us have a new manager.  None of us know him as he's just coming in from another site.  He dropped by and introduced himself to his direct reports early on this year and we've only heard from him twice regarding required training and Code of Conduct signing.  I told him about the lack of work, but haven't heard anything from him since he introduced himself.

Bottom line is that I don't feel like there's anybody looking out for me at work.  I've went around to different managers to find some work and have ended up getting some temporary jobs.  However, nothing long term has come up yet.  About three weeks ago, I asked if I could do some work on the previous project that I worked on, but they still haven't got back to me on it.  I have a feeling there might be something political going on there, but hope that this isn't the case. I've also applied for positions outside of our site and have been under consideration for these for the last 5 weeks, but I haven't heard from anybody on these to date.

I hope to not have to look outside the company, but will need do so if things don't get better soon.  I'm doing everything that I can to get something steady going here!  All I can do now is have faith that everything will work out for the best!






No comments:

Post a Comment